Entry to The Ginkgo Prize for Ecopoetry is through Submittable only. Please read the full eligibility rules below. The deadline for the 2018 competition is midnight, August 15th, 2018. Enter here.
1. These awards are for original and previously unpublished poems in English or any dialect of English. Poems do not need to address a specific theme, but should in some way – thematically, structurally, linguistically or formally – investigate ecology, the environment, or the relationship between human culture and the natural world. For examples of ecopoetry, please see previous winners.
2. Translations are not eligible.
3. Poems that have won or which are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
4. A poem’s spoken quality – its suitability for being read and recorded aloud – will form part of the judging criteria.
5. Entry is open to poets anywhere in the world.
6. Submission will be via this link. You will need to set up a (free) Submittable account to submit.
7. Postal entries will not be accepted. This is to minimise the amount of paper involved in the Prize.
8. You may submit any number of poems and these should all be contained in a single document.
9. All poems must by typed, single spaced A4 pages, formatted as PDFs or .doc or .docx Word documents.
10. Poems should not exceed 54 lines in length (titles, epigraphs and blank lines do not count).
11. Submissions are read anonymously. You will be asked to include your name and details via the Submittable link, but these will not be sent to the Judges. Your poem documents should include the individual poem titles, but not your own name or other personal identification details.
12. No alterations can be made to poems after submission.
13. The cost of submission is £7 for the first poem, then £4 for every subsequent poem.
14. Payment is made via Submittable.
15. The submission fee is non-refundable.
16. Submissions without the required payment in full will be disqualified.
17. At their absolute discretion, the Ginkgo Prize organisers reserve the right to return poems and their corresponding entry fees without the poems being considered.
18. The closing date is midnight on August 15th 2018. Please ensure you leave plenty of time to submit; if you experience technical or other difficulties submitting on the day of the deadline, there may not be time to resolve these, and your entry may not be included. Office assistance will not be available after 17:00.
19. All submissions will be read by Poetry School selectors – Dom Bury and Seán Hewitt – who will pick finalist submissions to pass on to the Judges.
20. The Judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
21. Five awards (First, Second and Third place, and two runners-up) will be made. Each individual poet is able to win only one award.
22. Special commendations will also be awarded.
23. Prize winning poets will be notified by September 26th, 2018.
24. All five winners must be able to attend Poetry in Aldeburgh and read at the prize ceremony from November 2nd – 4th, 2018. Accommodation and reasonable travel costs will be provided.
25. The first prize winner will receive £5,000, the second prize winner £2000 and the third prize winner £1,000.
26. First, second, and third prize winners and both runners-up will receive a 10-day residency at Cill Rialaig Arts Centre in Ballinskelligs, Ireland from 26th February – 7th March, 2019. Travel costs to the venue will be provided.
27. Copyright remains with the author, but the Ginkgo Prize reserves the right to publish free of charge the winning and commended poems in any format whatsoever. Poems should not be published in any other magazines or competitions for one year after the prize is awarded, though they may appear in pamphlets or collections published by the winners.
28. If in the unlikely event that in the Judges’ opinion no submissions merit selection, then the organisers reserve the right not to select.
29. The organisers reserve the right to alter these rules at any time.
30. Entry indicates an acceptance of these rules. Submissions failing to meet all of these rules will be disqualified.